Thursday, July 22, 2010

Narrative

I remember painting my childhood in dreamlike colors under moonlit skies. I remember chasing the laughter in my friend’s eyes and counting my heartbeat in a million words of love….I remember the soothing voice in my mother’s lullabies , my grandfather’s ancient storylines… closing my eyes and falling in waterfalls of starry nights … I remember how in a minute , an hour or a day the shelter of my dreams crumbled to the ground under a horrifying deadly sound… I remember my dreams running to hide under ruins, behind the smoke in fear of being erased forever …
I remember my mother’s eyes holding my reflection for the last time before death washed it in a tear… my grandfather’s torn jacket weighing its broken love on my shoulders… I remember searching for a friend, a voice or the slightest soothing sound .. I remember finding loneliness in corner … and then I remember no more…

Analysis
The majority of the people would agree on the catastrophic nature of war. Regardless of this understanding, people fail to learn from the past and fall into the habit of plunging into the same pattern of mistakes. War has unfortunately become part of this pattern to the point where we have become desensitized to its effect on people. An artistic creation is able to evoke feelings of compassion and raise the awareness of human beings unlike any other form of information intended for this purpose. Art works allow us to see everything from a renewed perspective. The ability to create a new perspective comes as a result of presenting an object with which we are familiar in a completely new way. Our habitualized, automaton perception of objects is renewed as a result of new ways of presenting it through art. The creation of a refreshed perspective and thus of an awareness of objects is, according to formalistic views, the very purpose of art.
Concerns about war are expressed in various non-artistic ways, however nothing sends a better message and nothing can create the unique feelings about its devastating effects as this painting does. When looking at this little boy, lost and lonely, in the middle of destruction one can not help but raise the level of compassion, love and thought about the devastating effects of war.

No comments:

Post a Comment